The World according to yaya

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Joggin and Bloggin

Today I went for a jog - this may not seem like a big deal to some but it is a huge deal to me....HUGE

I have wanted to jog for a long time but my only memories of exerted walking were of gym class in High School and they were not pleasant. Let's just say that at recess when all the other kids were doing sports or other physical activities, I was the one seated on the library steps, waiting for the library to open, so I could while away my lunch hour reading books. Hell, for most of Year 10 I actually volunteered to work in the library so that I could spend all my free time there. (In Year 11 I found drink, drugs and boys but that's another story)

For weeks, months, maybe even years I have been promising myself I would start jogging. Just start-not even promising myself a program, just start. Every day I would come home with another excuse and another day would pass. I walk a lot (up to one and a half hours a day) and I figured this would be okay...excuses - my boobs were too big, I was too old, I had no idea what I was doing. But most of all that niggly feeling that this was someting I hated - this was something that hurt and that made me feel sick.

I came home from work, all the while thinking up excuses not to jog. I got into the apartment and I sat on the sofa - still making excuses. All of a sudden I just stood up and said to Big M:
"I'm going for a jog"
and went into the bedroom to change. When I returned he looked at me strangley and smiled Good Luck.

I started runnig as soon as I left the building. Within 30 seconds I remembered why I didn't jog. My legs hurt, I felt like I was going to trip, my heart leapt through my throat and I could feel the burning sensation in my lungs already. I jogged until I couldn't anymore, then walked to get my breath back, then jogged again until I couldn't anymore etc etc. I told Big M that I planned to go for 20 minutes. At the first 5 minute mark I found myself checking my watch and cursing loudly. I thought I was fit - fit enough to walk to work every day. Oh, how wrong I was.

I walked throught the door to our apartment 25 minutes later. My face was red, was legs felt like jelly and I could hardly gasp hello. Big M took one look at me and told me I was not to jog again.

Can't wait until tommorow.


Post a Comment

<< Home