The World according to yaya

Friday, March 03, 2006

6 months in a leaky boat

It has been six months since my Mum went on her journey. I like that saying - went on 'her journey', it makes me feel that she is still around just in a different place. I miss her terribly but I have been going to counselling and now feel I can grieve without grieving. I think about her all the time, however now the memories make me smile as well as cry. I wish you could have all known her, and that she could have all known you.

My Mum's journey has left me thinking a lot about my own journey - the one I am experiencing here and now. I am usually a person of procastination - I say I am going to do a lot of things, that I want to try something or that I have always wanted to be some way and then it just passes and I let it. But in the last six months, I have been evaluating what is really important me and instead of talking about doing stuff, or dreaming of what I want to do and be - I am doing it. And being it.

For instance, I have learnt to meditate. I am not fantastic at it but I am doing it and enjoying it. My friends and I have started an art group and once a month we meet to create and be creative. We have booked a stall at a market and are looking forward to sharing our output. And I love it.
I am walking everyday and eating healthy, not because I want to lose weight but because I want to live the best life I can and being healthy is a part of that. And I am excited by it.
I am doing a sponsored walk on Mothers Day, in memory of my mother and to raise funds for Kahlilla, a very special girl who has neuroblastoma and who I will do anything to help (www.kahlilla.com). And I am looking forward to it.
I am having a girls-only 80's themed birthday party because I want to celebrate all that this life and this journey has to offer. And also because I have always wanted to and so I am going to. And I am estatic about it.
I am writing this blog because it means so much to me, to read all about you wonderful bloggers and your wonderful lives and to feel a connection to each and every one of you. And it is one of the best things I have ever done.
My Mum gave me the gift of life. Now she is teaching me how to appreciate it. Thank you Mum - I love you.

7 Comments:

  • At 8:00 AM, Blogger east side girl said…

    That is so sweet. It really sounds like you're working hard to remember your mom AND make a wonderful life for yourself, and that's very brave. Good for you.

    Have a great weekend.

     
  • At 10:10 PM, Blogger sara said…

    I think it's amazing that you're able to move through the personal grief of losing someone you love very much, and open yourself to how wonderful the world around you can be. It's a real celebration of your mother's life and spirit, and all the wonderful things you inherited and learned from her. I only hope that I can be as courageous and wise when I experience any kind of similar loss. Thanks for an inspiring reminder of the dichotomies that make up the fabric of life -- the sorrow and the joy.

     
  • At 8:40 AM, Blogger sueeeus said…

    good for you, good for you, good for you!!!!!

     
  • At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Yaya,
    Just called Kahlilla via Google and came across your blog. What a wonderful way to express your feelings. You obvously have many of your mum's spirit and I really admire it. I am Kahlilla's nan, and we are so grateful for what you are doing for Lilla. I hope and trust every step of your walk will help you heal your loss. Love, Jude

     
  • At 5:28 PM, Blogger Suse said…

    That, is one amazing post. Good on you Yaya, you're an inspiration.

     
  • At 12:54 PM, Blogger My float said…

    Hello, I came across your blog on Sueeess' site, and was very moved by your post about your mum. I can't imagine a time without my mum, so you have just reminded me to enjoy every single day.

     
  • At 9:24 AM, Blogger Megan said…

    Thank you for your encouraging comment on my 100th post - it is always my favourite suprise of the day to get a comment from someone I haven't heard from before, if nothing else than to go and see a new blog.

    I am sure your mother would have been extremely proud of how you are using your memories of her to move forward. That'a legacy worth passing on.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home