The World according to yaya

Friday, November 04, 2005

UR OK UK

I leave for England next Thursday. This trip was postponed because of Mum passing and I was going to cancel it but Big M convinced me that visiting my relatives and friends in ol' blighty would be a good thing. I'm not so sure. Don't get me wrong, I love my English rellies and miss my best friend J to bits but things aren't exactly 'normal' here. My Dad is drinking rather heavily and my bro just wants to hide away from the world and I don't know if I should be leaving them like that. And I haven't been away from Big M like this for over 9 years. And I am feeling a little lonely at times too. Is travelling to the other side of the world without my husband going to make me feel any better?

Then I think of how much I love the UK.
How I love to visit my Poppy's chair in the park overlooking the Thames.
How I love to walk along Guildford High Street and shop in Marks & Sparks and Debenhams (Sainsburys too)
How I love to sit up late and chat with my Aunty Ca-Ca, Aunty Viking, Uncle J Law and cousin AV - remembering all the good times and learning of times well before I came along
How I love to walk over Richmond Bridge where my Dad and his Dad walked before me
How I love Pork Pies and real Fish & Chips
How I love J's accent, Ca-Ca's laugh, Uncle B's enormous roasts, Aunty Bee's spritualist chats, the dew in the morning, the ducks and swans on the River Whey, taking Princess Polly for walks, English TV (Eastenders!), g&T's in the afternoon at Withies Inn, Hampton Court, Bushy Park, remebering Stoughton and Big M & me, Gap, Harrods, wonderful train journeys and snuggling down in my bed knowing that the next day will bring more fond memories for me to treasure always.

My Mum loved England. So do I. Am I going? You bet your bottom...pound coin! UK- UR OK!

1 Comments:

  • At 9:26 PM, Blogger Alice said…

    Please may I come with you? I adore England with a passion even though I only spent about 10 months there in 1993. To me it's like one big garden - and you know how I love gardens.

    I hope you have a lovely time, even though there will be sad moments but little by little they will become easier to bear.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home